Logistics, Housing and Other Important Information
Friday May 10, 2013
- If you are interested in being housed with another activist, crashing or tenting in the Baltimore area please call 410-913-7712
- Motel 6, 110 North Ave. Baltimore, MD 21201 phone 410-752-2000.This motel is in walking distance (3 blocks) to the Solidarity Center, 2011 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218 (which is our center). Participants can catch a ride from this office at 7:30 A.M. (This will be the only shuttle location.)
- Baltimore International Hostel, 17 W Mulberry Street, Baltimore MD 21201 Phone (410) 576-8880 http://www.hiusa.org/baltimore $35 per person.
Saturday May 11, 2013
POOR PEOPLES CAMPAIGN & MARCH OFFICIALLY BEGINS
(Biddle St & N Montford Ave)
Organizers have arranged group housing at an area motel (you will be sharing rooms), camping both at the college and at a nearby farm, and with local activists, based on needs and abilities. Of course, some local participants may return home for the night and return on Sunday. For details call: 410-218-4835.
Sunday and Monday May 12-13, 2013
- D.C. activist housing & tenting – Contact Peace House organizer Feriha at http://www.occupypeacehouse.org/
- The William Penn House 515 East Capitol St SE, Washington DC 20003 202-543-5560 williampennhouse.org/ $40 per person. This hostel is close to the Capitol and it fills very quickly.
Please support the hotel workers. There is a boycott of the Baltimore downtown Sheraton. You can check http://www.hotelworkersrising.org/HotelGuide/ from UNITE/HERE for other boycotted hotels.
Please see the FaceBook Event Page to coordinate rides and match up people who need rides. You can also call 410-913-7712 (Baltimore) or 973-509-7182 (New York City).
Please note that the Baltimore Mega Bus stop is not actually close to Baltimore, it is in a suburban community called White Marsh where public transportation is hard to find and cabs are close to $40. Unfortunately we do not have the resources to do individual pick ups.
The Bolt bus drops people off at the Amtrak Penn Station area which is the closest public transportation to the site.
The Baltimore downtown Grey Hound stop is closer than Mega Bus, but it’s not exactly inside the city either.
The only shuttle we will be have is at 7:30am from the Solidarity Center 2011 N. Charles St. Baltimore MD 21218 (which is within walking distance from both the Amtrak and Bolt bus.)
IMPORTANT POINTS FOR THOSE WALKING
- Please wear very comfortable and sturdy shoes and bring extra socks. Remember to pack lightly because you may be carrying your own gear, as people, needed supplies, food and water will get first preference in vehicles.
- There will be food provided for marchers, but keep in mind that it will be group food such as bag lunches, etc. If you have special dietary needs make sure that you pack what you need. We will also pass many fast food restaurants along the route.
- Medics and RN’s will be available for first aide needs. Make sure you whatever medicines you need are in marked bottles. If you have special medical needs please inform the medical staff.
IMPORTANT POINTS FOR SUPPORT VEHICLES DRIVERS
If you are driving a support vehicle, you will receive a special packet of instructions including a map and other pertinent information. Your role is very important and no less challenging than those walking. For most of the route you will be driving very slowly in a caravan formation behind the walkers. This takes stamina and patience. Drivers please meet at the site 9:00am on Saturday May 11. If you know in advance that you are driving please call 410-218-4835 or email email@example.com
ONTO MAKING HISTORY, LET’S IGNITE A NEW MOVEMENT
This brief outline may not answer all questions, but we hope it is helpful. Please feel free to call 410-218-4835 or 410-500-2168 with any questions. We will try our best to answer you and get back as quickly as possible.